Here are the most important news, trends and analysis that investors need to start their trading day:
1. Wall Street seeks to avoid a four-game losing streak Traders work on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), October 12, 2021.Brendan McDermid | Reuters
United States "Stock futures were slightly higher on Wednesday after Dow stock JPMorgan " Chase has reported revenue and income better than expected quarterly and key inflation data. JPMorgan shares increased slightly in pre-release, the results the bank's third quarter being supported by a $ 1.5 billion increase in higher than expected loan losses.
The Dow " Jones Industrial Average , on S&P " 500 and the Nasdaq all dropped out on Tuesday for the third consecutive session. The "modest losses indicated thatinvestors were in a wait mode before the earnings season really kicked into high gear.
Delta " Air Lines plunged into pre-commercialization after the carrier said on Wednesday that third-quarter earnings and revenue had exceeded expectations. This was Delta 's first quarterly profit without factoring in federal aid since the start of the pandemic. However, it was still " below pre-Covid 2019 levels. .
2. Supply chain issues, rising costs can lead to tough income
Supply chain issues, labor shortages and rising prices of energy make it a quarter " very difficult to model . As of Tuesday, 22 companies that were among the first journalists to beat estimates by 11%, according to Nick Raich, CEO of Scouting Earnings. While this figure is above the traditional pace of 3% to 5%, it is well below the average for previous quarters this year, including the pace of around 18% for the second quarter. Estimates for the third quarter, which have been rising steadily for months, have stopped in recent weeks.
3. September consumer prices remain high
The 10-year "Treasury yield fell to around 1.6% on Wednesday after the government announced that the consumer price index in September had risen 5.4% from last year. The core CPI, which excludesthe food and energy sectors, increased by 4% compared to last year. Both "were essentially as estimated and similar to year-on-year increases over the previous month. The "Federal Reserve at 2 p.m. ET publishes the minutes of its political meeting in September, when central bankers have indicated that they were planning to start reducing monthly asset purchases "soon ", but did not say when.
4. White House aims to help major West Coast ports stay open 24/7 Freighters full of containers dock at the Port of Los Angeles on September 28, 2021 in Los Angeles, Calif.Frederic J . Brown | AFP | Images
President Joe "Biden will unveil a plan to attempt to reduce backlogs at West Coast ports by expanding 24-hour operations. Port of Los Angeles is expected to announce a move " to 24/7 operations , following a similar transition of the Port of Long Beach in California last month. The commitments of some of the country's leading retailers and shippers, including FedEx , UPS , Walmart and Home " Depot , to increase night and e operationsn after hours in ports to bring goods to market. Together, ports account for approximately 40% of shipping containers entering the United States.
5. The United States will reopen its land s in November for fully vaccinated people The flags of the United States, Canada and Mexico fly side by side in Detroit, Michigan, United States, August 29, 2018. Rebecca Cook | Reuters
The United States said on Wednesday it was reopening "its land s to non-essential travel next month, ending a 19-month freeze due to Covid as the nation prepares to demand that all international visitors be vaccinated. Vehicle, train and ferry travel between the United States and Canada and Mexico havebeen largely limited to essential travel since the early days of the pandemic. The latest move follows last month's announcement that the United States will end travel bans to countries for air travel and instead require Covid snapshots for foreign nationals seeking to enter by air.
- The Associated Press contributed to this report. Follow all the market action like a pro on CNBC "Pro . Get the latest pandemic news with Cover " CNBC's report on coronaviruses .