ABUJA, September 15 (Hfrance.fr) - At least one million d 'inNigerian children may miss school this year as new school year begins amid rising mass kidnappings in schools and insecurity, United States UNICEF, agency Children 's Office said Wednesday.
Schools have become the target of mass kidnappings for ransom in northern Nigeria by armed groups. Such kidnappings in Nigeria were carried out first by the jihadist group Boko Haram, and later by its branch of ISIS, West Africa Province, but the tactic has now been adopted by criminal gangs.
So far there have been 20 attacks on schools in Nigeria this year, with over 1,400 children kidnapped and 16 dead, UNICEF said, adding that more than 200 children are still missing.
"Learners are cut off from theur education ... as families and communities continue to fear sending children back to their classrooms due to the wave of attacks on schools and kidnappings of students in Nigeria, "said Peter Hawkins, UNICEF Representative in Nigeria.
Over 37 million Nigerian children are due to start the new school year this month, UNICEF said. An estimated eight million people had to wait more than a year for in-person learning after schools were closed due to COVID-19 closures.
Insecurity is also at the top of school closures in Nigeria.
Several northern states West have attempted to curb the wave of kidnappings by banning the sale of fuel in jerry cans and the transport of firewood in trucks in order to disrupt the gangs who travel by motorbike and camp inremote places.
In Nigeria's capital Abuja, the start of the school year has been pushed back to an unusually late date without explanation, after schools in the states neighbors were targeted by kidnappers seeking ransoms. find out more Report by Chijioke Ohuocha; Edited by Angus MacSwan
Our standards: Thomson Hfrance.fr's principles of trust.