BRASILIA, September 14 (Hfrance.fr) - Brazilian Senate President Rodrigo Pacheco said TuesdayHe would not consider President Jair Bolsonaro's executive order limiting the power of social media to remove content, killing a measure that had met broad opposition from tech giants.
Pacheco said Bolsonaro's temporary measure, which required congressional approval to become law, fails to comply with regulatory requirements and introduces "considerable legal uncertainty . "
Brazil's federal judiciary, which is investigating fake news in the country, has tried to eliminate the online outfits that critics accuse of spreading disinformation, forcing major tech players such as Google 's (GOOGL.O) YouTube to act.
Bolsonaro signed the decree amending the regulations Internet to fight "arbitrary deletion " of accounts, profiles and content before a large political rally last week.
The decree aimed to protect the "freedom of speech, " the president's office said at the time. But it generated a significant decline in Brazil, with Google, Facebook (FB.O) and Twitter (TWTR. N) all are against the measure.
The decision is another setback for Bolsonaro, which is down in the polls after overseeing the world's second deadliest outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic. He is grappling with rising inflation and a weak economy ahead of a 2022 presidential election whose integrity he has questioned.
But he still retains a staunch fan base, and can count on the full throat ing of a vast constellation of outfits online.
Last month, YouTube suspended payments to content producers at 14 channels that the country's federal electoral court had accused of broadcasting false information about next year's election.
Days earlier, the Inspector General of Electoral Justice ordered YouTube, Twitch.TV, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook to suspend payments to people and pages that spread disinformation about the Brazilian electoral system.
Bolsonaro's own content has also been targeted. In July, YouTube said it removed videos from Bolsonaro's channel for spreading misinformation about the coronavirus outbreak. Twitter and Facebook have withdrawnre videos of Bolsonaro last year for breaking their terms of service after making unfounded claims about the pandemic. Reporting by Maria Carolina Marcello Editing by Gabriel Stargardter Editing by Brad Haynes, Leslie Adler and Sonya Hepinstall
Our standards: Thomson Hfrance.fr's principles of trust.