BOGOTA , July 22 (Hfrance.fr) - Colombia arrested 10 people accused of participating in attacks on a helicopter carrying President Ivan Duque and a military base last month which officials said Thursday were planned by d 'former FARC rebel leaders based in Venezuela.
The bombingIture trapped at the base in the northeastern town of Cucuta, where the 30th Army Brigade was located, injured 44 people, including two US military advisers. Later in June, a helicopter approaching the city with Duque and other officials on board was strafed by bullets. learn more
The 10 people captured in the province of Norte de Santander are former FARC rebels who reject a 2016 peace deal, said Attorney General Francisco Barbosa during a press conference broadcast on social networks, and belong to the dissidents '33rd front.
Three participated in the planning and carrying out both attacks and were arrested and charged, while another is a retired army captain, Barbosa said.
Orders to carry out the attacks came from former leaders of the FARC operating from Venezuela, Defense Minister Diego Molano told the conference.
He said the incidents demonstrated that the government of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro sheltered FARC dissidents, calling them "terrorists".
"It is clear that this attack on the president, against the 30th brigade, was planned from Venezuela ", Molano said.
The Venezuelan government did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The Colombian government has long accused Maduro to turn a blind eye to the presence of Colombian rebels on the territory of his country. Maduro, in turn, said Venezuel has fallen victim to Colombian criminals. Oliver Griffin 's reporting to Bogota Reporadditional stage by Vivian Sequera in Caracas Editing by Joe Bavier
Our standards: Thomson Hfrance.fr Trust Principles