These are two of the most popular WordPress themes of all time, so you've narrowed your list down to just a few quality options.
But how do you decide on the right theme for your unique situation? This is the subject of this article.
To help you choose the best theme for your needs, I will use both themes and compare OceanWP and Astra in detail.
To find out where these conclusions come from, keep reading the full comparison!
- Astra vs OceanWP: Presentations
- Templates / Demonstration sites
- Personalization Options
- Integrations of the pag generatores / Page level controls
- Features for developers
- Other notable features
- WooCommerce integration
- Other notable integrations
- Speed and performance
- Astra vs OceanWP: Which one should you use?
Astra vs OceanWP: Introductions
To start, let's briefly go through some introductions to these two themes.
Astra is the most popular default theme of all time on WordPress.org, where it is active on over a million sites - an incredible achievement. It is the only non-default theme to exceed one million active installs.
Besides having an impressive install count, it also has a 4.9 rating. stars out of nearly 5,000 reviews.
OceanWP is also one of the most popular themes on WordPress.org. Active on over 700,000 sites, it is the third most popular non-default theme (only behind the Hello theme from 'Elementor and Astra).
Like Astra, OceanWP also has a 4.9-star rating out of nearly 5,000 reviews.
Astra and OceanWP share the same basic approach. They are lightweight and flexible multipurpose themes that you can use for any type of site, from 'a blog to a brochure site, e-commerce store, etc.
To help you create these sites, both themes come with:
- Des Hundreds of importable demo sites for a range of different niches
- Detailed customization options in the real-time WordPress customizer
- Tight integrations with page builder plugins for drag and drop design
But although they both share the same basic approach, they have some important differences when it comes to features, customization options, price and performance.
The goal of the rest of this article is to highlight these differences.
Templates / demo sites
Now, let's move on to the more precise Astra vs OceanWP comparison, starting with the importable demo sites.
With these two themes, this is where you will likely start your experiment, so it makes sense to start our comparison here.
Via the companion Starter Templates , Astra offers importable demo sites built with your choice of four builder plugins:
In total you have access to over 280 demo sites, 95+ being available in the free version and the rest requiring one of the plans. Agency paid.
While the design is subjective, I also think Astra 's demo sites are much better and more unique than OceanWP.
Browse the dicemos Astra
Compared to Astra, OceanWP doesn't give you as much choice.
First of all, all demo sites are built with Elementor. It's fine if you like Elementor, but you don't have a choice to use other builders like Astra offerings.
Secondly, the number of demo sites is lower , especially dans the free version: you get 15 free Elementor templates and 185 premium templates.
Personally, compared to Astra, I find a lot of OceanWP's demos to be a bit boring and dated.
Browse OceanWP demos
🏆 Winner : Astra is clearly the winner because it offers more demo sites and also gives you more choices for the Personally i also think the Astra demos they are nicer.
To help you customize your site, Astra and OceanWP include a host of options in the real-time WordPress customizer.
Honestly, it's impossible to compare all the features here, as we're talking about hundreds (or even thousands?) of options of customization.
So, instead, I'll hit the highlights.
In general, I think OceanWP is a bit more flexible in terms of its 'options that it offers you. This is especially true when comparing the free version of OceanWP to the free version of Astra - OceanWP definitely gives you more flexibility in this scenario.
For example, here are the options typography in the free version of OceanWP:
But in general OceanWP is the winner here - however, a downside to have so many options is that OceanWP 's customization area is a bit crowded compared to Astra.
🏆 Winner : OceanWP, although I think most WordPress users will be happy with either one.
Page Builder Integrations / Page level controls
Both Astra and OceanWP work well with page builder plugins thanks to flexible page level controls.
Essentially, these settings let you control the canvas of your page builder designs page by page.
For example, you can change the number of sidebars on a page or make it full width. Or, you can turn off some items such as a page titleso you can create these elements with your page builder instead.
With Astra you get a new Settings Astra in the sidebar of the block editor. Here you can:
- Choose the number of sidebars to use
- Change the layout of the content
- Disable certain elements such as the 'header, title, image headline, footer and others
- Enable transparent or sticky headers
- Choose a custom page header
With OceanWP you get a new OceanWP Settings box (you need to install the Ocean Extra plugin to enable it). This box gives you a ton of options at the page level. At a high level you get all the same options as 'Astra:
- Change the layout and width of the content
- Choose a custom sidebar
- Disable title or entry header, or use a custom title
- Disable / edit footer
- Edit navigation menu or even disable specific items such as top bar
But you also have optionsvery handy, such as adding custom padding on top or bottom, changing logo, colors and typography, injecting shortcodes to different parts of the page etc.
I don't think most people need so many options, however , if you like having customization options, OceanWP is definitely up to the task.
🏆Winner : OceanWP gives you more page-level controls, although I think Astra still gives you all the options you need in most cases.
Features for developers
For more advanced users, Astra and OceanWP give you options to inject content using square brackets. If you are unfamiliar with this term, hooks essentially allow you to inject content into different places in your theme.
For example, you can automatically add a callbox to action at the end of blog posts. or insert an ad under the title of an article.
With Astra Pro, you get an update feature as a very useful personalized page that allows you to create five types of layouts:
- Page 404
- Interior Ad contentlication / de la page
The hooks option is the most powerful because it allows you to inject custom content or code into any hook location. You also have conditional options to control when to inject content, such as:
- Target specific content - eg. a certain message or a certain category of messages
- Target certain users - eg. all logged in users or only certain user roles
- Choose a start / end date for when to inject content
- Target some devices - eg mobile vs desktop
To insert content into posts / pages, you can also inject content after a random number of blocks, which is great for injecting s or promotions into blog posts.
If you are using the free version you can use the Astra Hooks to insert hooks from the Customizer, although 'it is not as flexible as Custom Layouts.
The equivalent in OceanWP is the premium Ocean Hooks , which is also very flexible. It allows you to inject text, shortcodes, PHP and HTML code, and more into any of OceanWP's hook locations.
And, for OceanWP:
Let's focus on s and page size:
So at least in their ready-to-use state ", Astra is a bit lighter than OceanWP.
🏆 Winner : Astra is the lightest theme, although advanced users can "reduce" OceanWP if they dig into the s and styles tool.
Finally, let's talk about OceanWP vs Astra Regarding pricing.
Both the themes are available for free a WordPress.org t. Then if you want to add more features you can purchase the premium versions.
For simple sites, you may be able to get by with either the free version of Astra or OceanWP . However, for any serious use case, I would recommend considering the premium versions of both themes.
Astra and OceanWP use different feature lock strategies for their free vs pro plans:
- OceanWP gives you pretty much all the customization options with the free version. If you buy the premium version you mainly get new demo sites and front end features like pop-ups, conditional hook tool, cookie notices etc.
- Astra Limit customization options in the free version. version, but still gives you a lot of models. To access all the customization options and certain other functionsadvanced features, you need to upgrade to Pro.
In the Astra vs Astra Pro comparison table, you can see that many differences involve basic customization options:
While with OceanWP, the differences mainly concern the new front-end features:
So if you specifically look at the free versions I would say:
- Go with OceanWP if you want the most customization options.
- Go with Astra if you want the most demos.
In terms of premium price, there is a big difference between these two themes:
Here are the starting prices for each:
- Astra: $ 47 for use on unlimited sites for your first year (after this, your license renews at $ 59)
- OceanWP: $ 54 per year to use on up to three sites
Astra calls the price of $ 47 a "limited time offer." However, they literally ran this "limited time" offer at $ 47 for over a year as of this writing, so I think it's fair to call it "the price " to cth stage. However, this special price only applies to your first year. If you want to renew the annual license, you will need to pay $ 59.
While OceanWP offers a premium version (called Ocean Core Extensions Bundle), Astra also offers bundles that include the other plugins of its developer, such as WP Portfolio. , Ultimate Addons for Elementor OR Beaver Builder, Convert Pro, Schema Pro, and more.
However, in order to access Astra's premium demo sites, you need to purchase at least the Essential for 169 $ Package. So if you want the premium models as well, that will make Astra more expensive compared to OceanWP (although you will get a few more plugins with Astra 's Essential Bundle, which also add value).
🏆 Winner : Astra, unless you also need the premium demos.
Astra vsOceanWP: which one should you use?
Now for the important question, when it comes to OceanWP as Astra, which one should you choose?
Well, there 's some good news first:
No matter what theme you choose, you won ' t make a bad decision. Those are two great themes, so in all likelihood , you'll be happy anyway.
However, if I had to recommend just one of these options for most people, I would say Astra is my first choice.
- It's lighter in terms of out-of-the-box performance.
- It has more of demo sites and you can choose from different builders. You also get a lot more demos in the free version.
- Although'OceanWP may have a slight advantage in terms of customization options, Astra still has flexibility enough for the vast majority of people .
- The customization experience of 'Astra is more user-friendly .
- The new drag and drop header / footer maker is really cool.
- It has deeper integrations for more plugins , such as LifterLMS and LearnDash.
- For advanced users, the layout functionality Astra 's custom page is a bit more flexible than Ocean Hooks.
- It ' s more affordable if you need a theme for multiple sites because it allows unlimited use of the site.
However ,this is just the recommendation for "most" people. I think there are specific situations where you might want OceanWP instead:
- You want to use a free theme and configure everything from zero. The free version of OceanWP gives you more customization options . And since you're building from scratch, you won't worry about the lack of demo sites.
- You want all of these in-depth customization options. OceanWP gives you more flexibility when it comes to customization options and page level controls. I don't think most people need that extra flexibility. But if you do, OceanWP might be better.
- You're building a WooCommerce store. I penis that OceanWP is a bit more flexible for WooCommerce , although Astra is also great.
To see another theme thrown in the mix, you can check out our three-way comparison GeneratePress vs Astra vs OceanWP .
Or, you can also browse data from our complete collection of the fastest WordPress themes .
You have questions on our Astra vs OceanWP comparison? Have you used any of these themes? Let us know in the comments!