MSI Afterburner is a free graphics utility developed by GPU manufacturer, MSI.
It helps with overclocking, monitoring of game graphics performance , benchmarking and video capture.
It offers a whole bunch of cool features and advantages that we have in more detail throughout the article.
It can be used in the following cases:
- Monitoring : The utility allows you to monitor everything from GPU temperatures, core and memory clock speeds, voltage, FPS and percent utilization via serial of graphics and a full display on the screen
- Overclocking : Increase the GPU frequency of its graphics card. So allows you to boost and improve the performance of your card graphics . So in lThese games will earn you FPS . Be careful, this can cause operating problems, or even damage it
- Reduce the frequency of the GPU . You encounter BSOD and want to test if it comes from the graphics card by lowering the GPU frequency
- Benchmarking : MSI Afterburner includes a benchmarking tool called MSI Kombustor that performs a serious stress test of the GPU stressful to see how well your graphics card reacts to pressure. This is a great way to see if your overclocking changes have impacted your GPU performance. We will see how to use the software later. It allows you to test the stability of your graphics card
- Display GPU, VRAM, FPS information on games with Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS)to test overclocking settings in games and whether FPS gains
The following article describes the main features MSI Afterburner utility, what they offer and how to use it to overclock, benchmark and stress test your graphics card GPU.
Table of contents
Afterburner was developed at the originally with MSI cards in mind. However, since its release, the software utility has been tweaked to work atwith all other aftermarket GPUs.
This is now the most commonly used graphics card utility for overclocking and on-screen monitoring.
Software can modify almost all aspects of a GPU , including clock speed, core voltage, power limit, temperature limit , memory clock speed and fan speed. Afterburner gives you all the tools you need to tune your GPU to your exact specifications, which other software applications don't.
It is compatible with all GPUs whatever the manufacturer of the chipset, be it Nvidia or AMD and the manufacturer of the card (MSI, EVGA, Gigabyte, etc.).
What makes a versatile graphics tuning tool.
You can use the program with an ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 or a Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580.
Plus, MSI Afterburner is 100% free to download and use, further strengthening its position as the primary graphics utility.
It can be used in the following cases:
- Resistance test to check the reactions of your PC when it is very busy
- Benchmark your PC . You have just purchased a new PC from Gamer and want to check that it is running at its maximum power. Some software compare the performance of your processor or graphics card with other users
- You want to overclock your PC to gain FPS and test the stability of the settings
- Make sure your PC is cool. The goal is also to check the temperature of the computer during these tests in order to verify that the PC is well cooled
- Try to diagnoseer hardware problems which cause BSOD and blue screen , drop FPS and performance or untimely restarts of your PC
MSI Afterburner: Modify the frequency GPU of its graphics card
Download, install MSI Afterburner
Here is an overview of the utility to manage your graphics card:
MSI Afterburner directly displays your graphics card information.
Thus we find:
- On the left the frequency of the GPU and of the VRAM memory
- On the right the information of voltage and temperature of the GPU
- At the bottom, the graph of the GPU temperature in the time
Overclock your graphics card and increase the frequency of the GPU
Before changing the frequency of the GPU or VRAM of your graphics card, be sure to read all the advice in this article.
Modify the frequency of the clock, memore the GPU
In the middle of the MSI Afterburner interface, you can change the GPU configuration of the graphics card.
Apply with the right button, and the button in the middle allows reset to defaults .
The values to overclock
It is then possible to increase or decrease the following values:
Base voltage adjusts your voltage in millivolts from the stock voltage of the board. The voltage gives you stability.
More you increase it, the more yourtemperature increases.
However, the more you increase it, the more you can overclock your card. I don't change the core voltage when using my GPU, I just leave it at the standard level. I only change this when I want to go to the extreme OC.
Power Limit :
Your card has a defined wattage that it is configured to consume. This slider allows it to consume more power if it needs to achieve higher overclockings. Increasing the power limit increases the amount of energy it can receive.
Temperature limit (Temp. Limit) :
This helps to regulate the temperature in which the GPU is operating. Do not let the temperature limit exceed 85
GPU clock frequency (Core Clock) :
This is the speed of the cores on the GPU. Increasing the base clock increases performancences and therefore adds additional FPS. This has more impact on games than memory clock.
Memory frequency (Memory / VRAM Clock) :
C 'is the frequency of the GPU's VRAM. Increasing the memory clock is safer than increasing the heart clock. This has more impact on graphics applications like Photoshop, Autocard, etc. This is usually not affected by the core voltage.
Fan speed :
When you overclock your GPU, the global temperature is increasing. Increasing the fan speed will help you run the GPU at optimum temperature. My suggestion to you is to increase the fan speed to keep temperatures below 85.
Tipsverclock your graphics card
Thus, by overclocking the speed of the card, the GPU will increase, in return, the temperature, and therefore , the more power will be exhausted. Therefore, it is necessary to find a balance between a stable temperature and performance for the card.
Otherwise you may encounter blue screens and BSODs or even damage your graphics card .
You should always keep in mind one thing, that every card is different even if it is the same manufacturer and the same model.
We start by overlocking the limits:
The first thing to do is set the “Power Limit” and “Temp Limit” sliders to the maximum .
With these improved settings, the GPU will now be more power efficient and should reach higher temperatures than it is.This would be done at the base.
Then we can overclock the GPU clock:
- Increase the speed slider basic clock in small steps , i.e. 20-30 Mhz per step. Each unit on the slider refers to a single MHz. If you push the slider to the positive position of 40, you theoretically overclock your base clock speed of 40 Mhz.
- Test your graphics card overclocking in-game or with the Kombustor benchmark ( See below).
- This should not hold up over time and you may experience system crashes.
- Start by reducing the speed of clock in 5 Mhz increments until all errors and problems have cleared . You have to find the right value to achieve stability when playing games.
Then you have to overclock the speed of the memory clock .
- We apply the sameme method with slightly different incremental steps.
- We recommend that you increase the speed of the memory clock from 50 to 100 Mhz per step.
- One more times, once you have regular errors and issues in Kombustor or games, reduce the memory clock speed in small 10Mhz increments until you find stable settings
At this point, you really want to test the new settings for an extended period to make sure the card is stable. I would recommend running Kombustor for at least 10 minutes and monitoring the map as it does.
Just make sure there are no issues, crashes, crashes, etc. If so, reduce the clock speed by 10 and repeat the test.
Once you are satisfied with the settings and everything seems stable.
Save the settingsres as a profile by clicking on the floppy disk icon and selecting one of the profile options.
GPU and GPU stress benchmarks with Kombustor
MSI Kombustor is a component of FurMark software developed by geek3D and MSI.
The latter is a full benchmark software.
It is a benchmarking tool called MSI Kombustor, which is a stress testing utility Fairly standard GPU that compares stability and thermal performance.
In tandem with overclocking features, it can provide detailed information about changes made and their impact on overall performance. It supports OpenGL and DirectX.
MSI Afterburner allows you to run Kombuster which must be installed first.
- Download MSI Kombustor from this link
- Launch the setup and let yourself be guided
- From there , the K is sobered up to be able to run Kombustor which can also be run independently
- Then we define the stress test parameters. GPU stress profiles are available . Otherwise you can make a manual setting with the number of passes, the screen resolution.
- Then test the card graphics run and give information about the status of the graphics card with Load, temperature, power usage and FPS
To stress your GPU, there is also the famous OCCT:
OCCT: CPU / GPU Stress Test to test the stability of your PC
Finally a complete article on stress stes de your PC with AIDA64, Furmark,
CPU, GPU, disk stress test: Testing the stability of your computer
Change Fan Speed
Afterburner also allows users to fine-tune their fan profile by allowing you to choose a custom fan speed curve that changes to depending on the temperature of your GPU.
The higher the temperature, the faster the fan will run.
Conversely, the lower the temperature, the slower the fan. Simple enough.
All your overclocking profiles can be saved to the software and switched with a single click.
Find the settingsres you want when you play and then save them using the floppy disk icon at the bottom right
Adjust the speed of the processor fans (CPU FAN)
Articles about the GPU and graphics card tuning:
Articles about diagnostics and hardware tests: You found this article useful and interesting, do not hesitate to share it ...
MSI Afterburner: Overclocker, Benchmark and stress test of the GPU of its graphics card