OSLO, October 14 ( Hfrance.fr) - Danish citizen, 37, suspected of killing five people in an archery attack in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg in a rare incident of massacre in Norway, police said Thursday.
Two people, including a police officer on leave, were injured in the Wednesday evening attacks , which took place in different parts of the city, 68 km (42 miles) southwest of the capital, Oslo.
"This very serious situation of course makes a deep impression on Kongsberg and those who live here, "District Police Chief Oeyvind Aas said in a statement.
The suspect, who was apprehended, allegedly acted alone, police said. They didn't say anything about a possible motive.
Several of the attacks were carried out with a bow and arrow, Aas said on Wednesday evening. that the police were also investigating whether other weapons were used.
The death toll has been the worst of all attacks in Norway since 2011, when far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people, most of them 'between them were teenagers in a youth camp.
Police said they were giving information about the man ' s nationality after rumors have circulated on social media about people unrelated to the attacks.
The new Norwegian Prime Minister, Jonas Gahr Stoere, who is to take the power on Thursday after winning parliamentary elections last month, said he had been kept informed by the outgoing government.
"What we learned from Kongsberg testifies to a gruesome and brutal act, "Stoere said in a statement to NTB news agency.
The attacks lasted more than half an hourin a "large area " of Kongsberg, including at a Coop Extra grocery store, the Aftenposten newspaper said citing police.
A woman living nearby from the store said she heard alarms on her way home.
"I saw a group of police officers , including one who held several arrows in her hand, "the woman, Marit Hoefle, told the newspaper.
Investigators wonder if the attacks constituted an act of terrorism and said they would give more details of the incident later on Thursday.
Police were questioning the suspect and he was cooperating, said declared his defense lawyer.
"He is cooperating and making detailed statements regarding this event ", lawyer Fredrik Neumann told the public string NRK.
Images of one of the scThe crime scenes showed an arrow that appeared to be stuck in the wall of a paneled building.
About 28,000 people live in the municipality of Kongsberg.
Following the attacks, police management said they ordered police across the country to carry firearms. Norwegian police are not normally armed, but officers have access to weapons when needed. Report by Terje Solsvik; Edited by Robert Birsel
Our standards: Thomson Hfrance.fr's principles of trust.