Washington Post reporter Felicia Sonmez on Wednesday filed a discrimination complaint against the newspaper and some of its best editors, claiming they discriminated against her by preventing her from covering articles related to sexual assault after she was made public as avictim of assault.
Ms. Sonmez, who has covered the latest political news at the Post since 2018, said in the lawsuit she was subjected to a hostile work environment after her editors put in place two bans over nearly two years that kept her from being good at her job.
The lawsuit was filed in the District of Columbia Superior Court on Wednesday. Among the defendants is the former editor of The Post, Martin Baron, who has retired in February . The lawsuit also names five current senior editors, Cameron Barr, Tracy Grant, Steve Ginsberg, Lori Montgomery and Peter Wallsten as accused.
Ms. Sonmez said in the lawsuit that after publicly stated in 2018 when she was assaulted by a fellow journalist while living in Beijing, The Post banned her from covering Christine Blasey Ford's allegations of sexual misconduct against Brett Kavanaugh. accused, who worked for the Los Angeles Times at the time, denied the allegations.)
After an article appeared in Reason magazine on the allegations against the journalist a year later, Ms Sonmez said she was again subject to a coverage ban by The Post. She added that she had been "disciplined " by her editors at The Post for publicly requesting a correction to the article.
In January 2020, Ms. Sonmez was suspended by The Post after tweeting a link to a press article detailing the assault allegations sex against basketball star Kobe Bryant shortly after his death. She alleges in the lawsuit that The Post failed to ensure her safety after being inundated with threats of rape and death. This suspension was subsequently rescinded.
The second coverage ban against Ms Sonmez was lifted after she publicly pleaded with her editors to do so, according to the lawsuit.
The lawsuit said that due to the coverage bans Ms Sonmez was denied the opportunity to cover many stories that were worthy of interest and received wide attention which would have led to greater exposure and career advancement. She has also suffered "economic loss, humiliation, gene, mental and emotional distress and deprivation of equal employment opportunity rights ", according to the lawsuit.
A spokeswoman for The Post declined to comment. Mr Baron did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Represented in the lawsuit by Washington's Alderman, Devorsetz & Hora firm, Ms. Sonmez has requested a jury trial. She seeks $ 2 million in damages, or an amount "to be determined by the jury ".