A New York trial judge said that he needed more time to deliberate on an orderance which the newspaper said violates the First Amendment.
A judge of the trial court of New York on Tuesday refused to lift an order temporarily banning The Hfrance.fr to publish or continue certain documents related to the conservative group Project Veritas. The judge said at a hearing that he needed more time to consider the arguments and requested additional briefs next week.
Hearing outcome remains in place, for now, an order that The Times and national First Amendment advocates have denounced as a highly unusual case of a court's intrusion into constitutional protections journalists. Project Veritas argued that the oThe order does not constitute a major imposition.
Lawyers for the Times had hoped their arguments would persuade Supreme Court judge Charles D. Wood Westchester County State, to lift the written order it issued last week.
"We are disappointed that the order remains in place, but we welcome the opportunity to address the court directly on serious First Amendment concerns raised by prior restriction, "Times spokesperson Danielle Rhoades Ha said in a statement.
The order is part of a libel lawsuit filed against The Times in 2020 by Project Veritas, whose leader, provocateur James O 'Keefe , has often used hidden cameras and false identities to embarrass Democrats, labor groups and the media.
Project Veritas is under investigation by the Justice Department for possible involvement in the theft of a newspaper belonging to Ashley Biden, the daughter of President Biden. The Times, which reported on the investigation, published a nov. 11 article which extracts memos, prepared by a lawyer for Project Veritas, which examine the legality of the group's deceptive reporting practices.
These notes predate the Times libel case by several years. But Project Veritas argued that the newspaper violated its right to solicitor-client privilege by publishing the memos and accused the newspaper of trying to embarrass a legal opponent. Judge Wood ordered The Times to stop releasing Project Veritas materials and "cease further efstrong to solicit or acquire ”these documents, thus preventing new reports by its journalists.
The judge asked Project Veritas on Tuesday to file another brief on the 1st December. The Times is allowed to respond by December 3.
Investigations into Project Veritas and one of its lawyers, Elizabeth Locke, were not immediately fired on Tuesday .
Late last week, The Times asked a state appeals court to overturn the order by Justice Wood, an application which was dismissed.