THE HAGUE, September 13 (Hfrance.fr) - The Special Tribunal for Lebanon declared on Monday to have secured enough funds to hear the appeal of his main case, which focused on as 2005 assassination of Prime Minister Rafik Hariri, which will begin on October 4.
Three months ago, the United Nations-backed international tribunal, located near of The Hague, had declared it should run out of money and would be forced to close its doors. read more
" We have funds to make the calls in the main case "said court spokesman Wajed Ramadan on Monday.
Last year, judges sentenced Salim Jamil Ayyash, a former member of the Shiite Hezbollah movement, in absentia for the bombing that killed veteran Sunni politician Hariri and 21 others. Prosecutors are calling for the conviction on appeal of two other suspects who were acquitted, also in absentia. learn more
The door -says Ramadan declined to comment on the source of his recent funding.
The Lebanese court was created by a UN Security Council resolution in 2007. Its 2020 budget was 55 million euros ($ 67 million). The court said in June that the 2021 budget had been cut by almost 40%, but it was still struggling to meet. get contributions.
Until 2020, the tribunal had been funded 51% by voluntary contributions and 49% by the Lebanese government. Lebanon is going through an economic crisis this year.
On Monday, a new Lebanese government met for the first time and promised to restart talks with the IMF to unblock but warned that there was no quick fix to its economic crisis learn more Reporting by Stephanie van den Berg; Edited by Hugh Lawson
Our standards: Thomson Hfrance.fr's principles of trust.