Image source, Image caption, The suspect was arrested 30 minutes after police first confronted him in Kongsberg
A bow and arrow attack that left five dead and two injured shocked Norway.
A 37-year-old Dane was arrested and questioned by Lice, who did not rule out terrorism.
The attack was the deadliest in the country since far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 peoples in 2011.
Here 'This is what we know.
The attack took place on Wednesday evening in Kongsberg, about 80 km (49 miles) south-west of Norway's capital, Oslo.
The attacker launched the assault near a Coop Extra supermarket in the partie west of Kongsberg.
Police first received a report of a man shooting people with a bow and arrows at 6:12 pm local time (4:12 pm GMT). Shortly after, officers arrived at the scene.
It is not clear if they were armed when they first encountered the suspect. They contacted the attacker at 6:18 pm.
The police were then hit by arrows before the assailant escaped. Attacks were then reported in various locations.
A witness told local media that he saw a woman lying injured at an intersection and calling for help.
Another witness told TV2 that she saw a "man standing on the corner with arrows in a quiver over his shoulder and a bow in hand ".
" Afterwards, I saw people running for their lives. One of them was a woman holding a child by the hand, "she said.
Kongsberg's footage showed arrows on the ground and another sticking out from a wall.
In a press conference on Thursday, Norwegian police official Ole Bredrup Saeverud said the victims were most likely killed after the police were killed.ciers had faced the attacker for the first time.
The suspect was arrested at 6:45 p.m. - 35 minutes after the start of the attack. Warning shots were fired during the arrest, police said.
Norwegian media have asked whyuoi it took over half an hour for the police to arrest the suspect after the first reports of an attack. Mr Saeverud said the situation had been "confusing ".
Norwegian intelligence service PST said the attack appeared to be an "act of terror " but more far an investigation was needed to establish motivation.
Who is the suspect?
He was not named, but police said he was a 37-year-old Danish citizen with a Danish mother and Norwegian father.
Police prosecutor Ann Iren Svane Mathiassen told TV2 that the man had lived in Kongsberg for several years and was known to the police.
The suspect converted to Islam and "there had fears about radicalization before, "Chief Saeverud told reporters.
Image source, Reuters Image caption, Police said the suspect had converted to Islam and feared he had radicalized
He said the latest report concerning radicalization dated back to 2020. "We have had no report on it in 2021 " Saeverud said.
The suspect was taken to a police station in Drammen town, where he was questioned by the police. "He explains in detail and he speaks and co-functioning with the police, " the suspect's lawyer, Fredrik Neumann, told reporters.
Mr. Saeverud said the suspect confessed during questioning, adding that he was "relatively sure he acted alone ".
The suspect has been charged and is expected to appear before a judge on Thursday or Friday for a police custody hearing.
Who are the victims?
None of the victims have been formally identified. Four women and a man, all aged 50 to 70, were killed, police said.
Relatives have been notified. Police say they do not believe the suspect knew any of the victims.
One of the injured was a policeman on leave who was in the supermarket, where the victim was injured. attack would have started. He and another injured man were stable.
Shock and condolences
Lhe incoming Norwegian Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Store said the attack was a "gruesome and brutal act ". This happened a day before his center-left coalition government took office.
Outgoing Conservative Prime Minister Erna Solberg said reports of the attack were "horrible ".
And Kongsberg Mayor Kari Anne Sand said it was a shocking attack that took place in an area where many people.
Describing the city as "a completely ordinary community with completely ordinary people ", Ms. Sand said that everyone was deeply shaken by "this very tragic situation ".
At the international level, political leaders have expressed their shock and offered their condolences.
Prime Minister of Denmark, Mette Frederiksen, condemned the "terrible attack ", while that the general secretary ofthe UN Antonio Guterres said he was "saddened " by the tragic news ".