If you've watched The Mandalorian Season 2 Finale this week -end, you're probably wondering when The Mandalorian takes place in the Star Wars timeline. The short and most helpful answer is that Mandalorian Season 2 takes place 5 years after Return of the Jedi, but 25 years before Star Wars: The Force Awakens. But it 's hard to be more specific than that.
This was revealed around the time The Mandalorian aired in 2019, to help people understand where it fits in the Star Wars timeline. This isn't something you probably thought about until Season 2, when the show started introducing characters inherited from the Star Wars Movies , which makes you think about how all the pieces on the table in these last eight yearsisodes (like Boba Fett) actually add up.
After that finale - which we'll talk about a bit below adding some context to what you just saw in the last episode of Mando, so, spoilers - there you go. definitely think a lot more. So here's when The Mandalorian takes place in the Star Wars sequel.
When The Mandalorian is set in the Star Wars timeline
- Star Wars EpisodeI: The Phantom Menace (set 32 years before A New Hope)
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (Fixed at 22 years old) before A New Hope)
- The Clone Wars animated film (represents the start of the animated series)
- The Clone animated series Wars (begins 22 years before A New Hope, ends 19 years before)
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (takes place 19 years before A New Hope)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story (set about a decade before A New Hope)
- Star Wars animated series: Rebels (set five years before A New Hope, with an epilogue much later)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (ends moments before A New Hope)
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (set three years after A New Hope)
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (set four years after A New Hope)
- The Mandalorian (around nine years after A New Hope)
- Star Wars animated series: Resistance (set 34 years after A New Hope)
- Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (defined 34 years after A New Hope)
- Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (set 34 years after A New Hope)
- Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (set 35 years after A New Hope)
The Star Wars universe uses the Battle of Yavin as the focal point for all other events. On TechRadar, we've simplified the official Star Wars years designations of 'BBY ' and 'ABY ' until the point where every movie and TV show is defined relative to Episode IV: One.new hope, to make it easier. to understand.
Thus, The Mandalorian takes place five years after the return of the Jedi, but 25 years before the force awakens. This makes the events of the show's second season, especially the resurgence of the Empire and the return of Luke Skywalker with his green lightsaber and black cape, make it much more nse. The wounds are still relatively fresh after the Battle of Endor.
The show does not specify how much time elapsed between seasons 1 and 2 of The Mandalorian, but actor Pedro Pascal has reportedly said the series is continuing " very directly "from the first season, so we can assume that Mando meets Cobb Vanth shortly after taking down Moff Gideon's TIE Fighter in 'Chapter 8: Redemption '.
How old is Luke Skywalker in The Mandalorian season 2?
Luke Skywalker is probably 28 years old when you meet him in The Mandalorian season 2. He was born 19 years before the Battle of Yavin, during the events of Revenge of the Sith. With The Mandalorian set 9 years after the events of the first Star Wars movie, that would seem to add up - and hey, it's not like the visual effects of the last episode of the series made it look like all of this. older than after the battle of Endor.
How old is Kylo Ren then of The Mandalorian season 2?
(Image credit: Disney) MANDALORIAN SEASON 2 SUMMARY
(Credit by 'image: Disney / Luke asfilm)
Remember what happened this season in the episode of The Mandalorian season 2 1 , The Mandalorian season 2 episode 2 , The Mandalorian season 2 episode 3 , The Mandalorian season 2 episode 4, The Mandalorian season 2 episode 5 , The Mandalorian season 2 episode 6 and The Mandalorian season 2 episode 7 .
You might be wondering how old future Star Wars sequel villain Kylo Ren is at this point in the timeline, too - he would have been born about a year after Return of the Jedi, which makes him would be about four years old. Maybe we'll see him appear in a future season, now that Luke Skywalker is training Grogu, presumably in his new Jedi Academy (which is doomed to go wrong, as we know in the following trilogy).