Table of contents
There are many reasons that your disk clone does not work.
This could be due to a misconfiguration during disk clone .
So, in order not to make a mistake, I invite you to follow this complete tutorial:
Clone an HDD / SSD disk with Macrium Reflect Free
But above all it is necessary to check that the source disk is not physically damaged .
This is because a hardware problem on the source disk makes it almost impossible to clone the disk.
The operating system on arrival will probably be corrupted.
For that, follow this complete guide:
Check the health of your hard drive with SMART technology
If CrystalDiskInfo or some other software indicates that the disk status is Caution or bad , so try to follow this tutorial.
But the disk clone is probably compromised.
Last but not least make a data backup to avoid data loss .
Macrium Reflect: Repair Windows 10 startup after disk clone
Steps to fix startup problems aftera disk clone:
- Create the troubleshooting USB key with Macrium Rescue Media Build
- Start your PC on it to launch Macrium Rescue Media
- Launch the Windows 10 startup problem correction tool
Create the Live USB troubleshooting Macrium Reflect
We start by creating the Macrium Reflect recovery key say Macrium Rescue Media build .
- Run Macrium Reflect Free on your PC
- Then click on the menu Other Tasks and Create Rescue Media . it is also found in the left menus
- Select the device where to create the Macrium recovery media.
- For a USB drive, choose: Removal USB Flash Drive
- To burn to a DVD-Rom: CD / DVD Burner
- Click on the build below to start creation
- Macrium Rescue Media Build copies the files and makes the USB drive bootable .
- Finally, once finished, the message tells you that the operation has successful.
Your Macrium Reflect recovery USB stick is ready in order to repair startup Windows 10 after a disk clone.
Start on the Macrium Reflect live recovery USB
You must now start the PC on the bootable Macrium Reflect USB key .
- Restart your PC
- Tap on the key that will open the boot menu (see the link below)
- Select USB Key, USB Removal Drive or the brand of the USB key
To help you find the key that open the start menu of your PC, follow this article:
List of keys to access BIOS or Boot menu by manufacturer
In general, also follow this complete tutorial:
How to start your PC on a USB key
You have succeeded in boot on Macrium Rescue Media to repair Windows 10 startup after a disk clone.
Repair startup of Windows 10 disk clone
The PC arrives on the Macrium Reflect utility:
- Click on the menu Restore
- Then Fix Windows boot Problems
- In UEFI , there is no has nothing to do in particular, the Fix boot Problems tool detects the EFI partition. Click on Finish
- Macrium Media Rescue then repairs the cloned Windows 10 BCD
- Click Yes on the Restart your PC popup
Well done! You have successfully repaired Windows 10 booting in UEFI after disk clone.
Here is how to repair the MBR of a Windows 10 cloned.
- Select your destination disk cloned with Windows 10 the one that was cloned
- Check the boot partition which is usually the first partition of the disk:
- Or the EFI partition say reserved for the system for UEFI BIOS PCs . It has a size of approximately 100 to 300 MB in FAT32
- Either the active partition MBR for the PC MBR. About 300 to 500 MB in NTFS
- Leave all Default repair operations:
- Reset the boot disk ID : repairs incorrect disk identification information
- Replace the Master Boot Record : repair the MBR for old PCs
- Replace partition sector boot code : repair the active MBR partition and boot sector
- Rebuild the boot configuration Database (BCD) : repairs the Windows 10 BCD to resolve BCD errors
- Click on Finish to start all repairs
- A menu with the task list is displayed
- When this is finished, you are prompted to restart your PC with the Restart PC popup
- Click Yes and remove the USB stick from the PC
Well done! You have successfully repaired Windows 10 boot in MBR after disk clone.
Links You found this article useful and interesting, please share it ...
Macrium Reflect: Fix Windows startup 10 after a disk clone