Search Engine Journal Webinar Presented by Kevin Rowe, founder of PureLinq .
Prospecting and securing links from critical categories or business pages play a major role in ranking in competitive areas.
Rowe revealed the fundamentals of link building for ecommerce and affiliate sites in 2021.
Here's a recap of his key takeaways, based on the proven approach that PureLinq has implemented for their clients.
Selecting Your Approach
Any link building campaign begins with identifying the approach you plan to take.
The unrelated mentions are an effective strategy for securing links to category or review pages .
Rowe and his team found that focusing on this approach was the fastest and most effective tactic among many, with a conversion rate of 50-90%.
In this type of campaign,you need to find existing articles that already mention your brand and contact the publisher to ask them to link to your own web page.
You can start using some categories to focus on, for example:
- Company brands (for example, B&H Photo Video, Wayfair, Everytable) .
- Product brands (eg Purple, Nectar, Bulletproof).
- Retail brands (eg Nike, Acer, Apple, Lindt).
- Executive brands (eg Elon Musk, Gary Vaynerchuk, Loren Baker).
Finding Unlinked Mentions
There are several ways to find unrelated brand mentions.
- Via manual direct e-mail.
- Using prospecting tools: Search for mentions in bulk using Moz Fresh Web or Ahrefs Context Explorer, then upload the list of sites to Pitchbox or BuzzStream.
- Full automation (ie PureLinq 's Mention connection technology).
Here is a Selecting the right Pages
Analyzing the content and visibility of top competitors will help you identify your target pages for link building .
Here is an overview of the areas to analyze.
Here are the specific page types that are usually listed in ecommerce sites and affiliate sites:
The link to the home page makes sense in the following situations:
- Targeting top level category keywords for ranking.
- You have a new site that needs a brand presence.
- New site launched, for early awareness.
- Development of site-wide contextual relevance.
Page Category / Groups
You can link to category pages when:
- Category level keyword targeting for ranking.
- Target keywords with high search volume.
- The main content is transactional or directional (unless you have information).
- Business goals are short term leads / sales. target.
Individual Item Pages
It is reasonable to link to individual product pages or specific pages when:
- Target a product - specific keywords for ranking.
- Keyword targeting with low search volume.
- You have a budget to distribute a large number of pages.
- There are several ways to concentrate pages under a category.
- Top ranked content is specific pages.
Educational / informative pages
Links to pages eeducational or informative if:
- The goals are 6 to 12 months or more.
- Ranking page 1 for multiple keywords.
- Top tier content is informative.
- The main objective is to strengthen domain authority.
- The sector concerns gambling, finance, loans or other similar niches.
Evaluating potential sites
When evaluating potential link partners, it is essential to weigh each item. Some aspects of the site are more important than others.
Ideally, you want to create a footprint - not just an item. Look at several things, then decide on the quality of the site.
Remember that there is a difference between metrics and quality in link building.
Metrics (such as domain authority, trust flow, etc.) from third-party SEO tools canent serve as guides to narrow your target l ist.
They can help you take charge of micro decisions and reduce workload.
On the other hand, the quality of the site can influence the final decisions.
If you decide to manually review the quality of your potential sites, consider the following key elements:
- Sponsored links : Links to unmarked money pages with nofollow or sponsor.
- Navigation : is it too general for a blog?
- Tags: No keywords related to gambling, pornography, payday loans etc.
- Frequency : Are publications rare or out of date?
- About Us : Is the information specific or too general?
- Administration pages : do they haves pages of instructions for guest posting or posting? / li>
- Contact details : Do they provide their phone number, address or email address?
- Excessive links : are there too many links pointing to a page?
- Low authority : Use of metrics such as Domain Authority (DA) or Domain Rating (DR).
- Irrelevant links : are there any links that do not make sense for the page?
- Names and bylines : is it just set to "admin " or the name of the site or are the authors of the article correctly identified?
- Author 's page : is there any information about the author?
- Foreign : the author of the country you are targeting?
- Follow up : personal, micro-influencer, influencer, news?
- Engagement: Are people interacting with their content?
Check out more tips on how to identify site quality for link building at this SEJ webinar also features nted by Rowe.
[Slides ] Basics of Link Building for Ecommerce and Affiliate Sites in 2021
Check out the SlideShare below.
Basics of link building for com sitese-commerce and affiliate sites in 2021 from Search Engine Journal
Screenshot taken by author, March 2021