Since its inception in 1996, social media has succeeded in infiltrating half of the 7.7 billion people in the world. Social media platforms have almost tripled their total user base over the past decade, from 970 million in 2010 to over 3.81 billion users in 2020.
The dramatic year-over-year adoption of new users to the platforms is slowing down, however. It is now based on the continued growth in the number of people with access to the Internet and smartphones, especially in developing regions.
So how big is social media and how has it evolved today?
In this awesome statistical roundup you will discover the latest social media data in numbers and key demographics, here is a summary of what you will learn below:
So no mores delay, let's dive into the top 12 must-see statistics for one of the fastest technologies of the last century.
Social media usage statistics (top picks)
- 3.81 billion people use social media in 20 of the world20, nearly double the 2.07 billion in 2015
- The average person has 8, 6 social media accounts in 2020, compared to 4.8 in 2014
- The growth rate of social networks since 2015 has averaged 12, 5% from one year to the next. However, growth is on the decline, with 2019-2020 showing a slightly lower increase of 9.2%
- By region, social media growth in 2019-2020 is driven by Asia: + 16.98% , Africa + 13.92% , South America + 8, 00% , North America + 6.96% , Europe + 4.32% , and Australasia +4.9 % [
- 49.03% of the 7.77 billion people in the world use social media, audiences aged 13 and over, 63 % are active users
- 83.36% of Internet users are on social networks; however, 90.71% of mobile Internet users are active on the networks
- Out of 3.81 billion social network users, 98.68% access websites or applications through a mobile device, with only 1.32% access to platforms exclusively through desktop
- Overall , the average time spent by a person on social networks, a day lasts 2 hours 24 minutes ; if someone enrolled at 16 and lived to 70, heWould spend 5.7 years of his life there
- Facebook is the leading social network with 2.6 billion monthly active users, followed by YouTube ( 2 billion ), WhatsApp ( 1.6 billion ), FB Messenger ( 1.3 billion ) and WeChat / Weixin ( 1, 1 billion )
- 70% of the total US population have social media accounts, for a total of 231.47 million population and increasing by 3.1% between 2019 and 2020
- In the United States, the monthly active users of 2019-2020 are on the rise from 1 to 2% of Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn. However, Pinterest, Twitter, WhatsApp and Snapchat are all down 1-3%
- In the United States, 76% of all women use social media, compared to 72% of all menmes
How many people use social media?
In 2020, the number of people using social media is over 3.81 billion worldwide, with the average user having 8.6 accounts on different networking sites. Popular platforms like Facebook have over 66.39% of their monthly users logging in to use social media daily.
All social networks report growth data on the number of monthly active users or MAU rather than the number of accounts, as this data is more accurate for measuring actual usage and penetration of the territory.
What percentage of people use social media?
The current percentage of people using social media is 49.03% of the world's total population. However, when we look at the penetration rates of the platform form by people belonging to eligible audiences, 83.36% of the 4.57 billion internet users worldwide and 90.71% of the 4.20 billion mobile internet users use social networks.
- 3.81 billion people use social media around the world, according to Platform reports on current number of active users
- 63% of the world's population are active on social media when it examines eligible audiences aged 13 years and over
- Of the 7.77 billion people in the world, 49.03% of the population uses social networks, regardless of age or Internet access
- Out of 4.57 billion Internet users, 83.36% are active users
- Of the 4.20 billion mobile Internet users, 90.71% areactive users
- Of the 3.81 billion social media users, 98.68% access websi tes or applications via a mobile device
How many social media accounts does an average person have?
According to the Global Web Index, the average number of person-to-person social media accounts is 8.6 worldwide, up 79.16% from 4.8 accounts in 2014. L A study of 46 countries with internet users aged 16 to 64 shows that Japan had the lowest average number of social media accounts at 3.4, compared to the UAE, the highest at 10.5 per person.
- The average number of social media accounts is 8.6 per person in 2020
- The growth in the number of accounts per person is up by 79.16% , from 4.8 accounts per person in 2014 to 8.6 in 2020
- First, the growth of multi-networking is linked to the widening of platform choice . Secondly, it also depends on the specialization of the individual platforms, for example Instagram (photos), YouTube (video) and LinkedIn (work)
5 Strengths for the Backo audience:
- India: Averages 10.3 accounts per person
- United States: Averages 6.9 accounts per person
- Canada: Averages 6.9 accounts per person
- UK: average 6.8 accounts per person
- Australia: average 6.7 accounts per person
How many people use social media for business?
The average number of people who use social networksux for work is 43% of all internet users aged 16 to 64 around the world. In the United States, only 27% of people actively use social media in their work, compared to the highest by country in Indonesia at 65%, or the lowest at 13% in Israel.
5 Highlights for the Backo audience:
- India: 47% people use it for work
- Canada: 31% of people use it for work
- Australia: 30% of people use it for work
- United States: 27% of people use it for work
- United Kingdom: 27% of people use it for work work
Social media use by gender
The current global average gender distribution of usersers of social media is 55% male versus 45% female. However, in the United States, women are the main user base; 76% of all female Internet users have social media accounts compared to 72% of all men.
Which gender uses social networks the most by region?
- North America: 51% women versus 49% men
- South America: 52% women against 48% men
- Europe: 51.25% women against 48.75% male users
- Africa: 40.2% women against 59.8% male users
- Asia: 40.4% women against 59.6% men
- Australasia: 48% women against 52% male users
What gender uses social media the most per platform?
As you can see from the data above, the use of social media is different for men and women around the world when reviewing the 'location. Perhaps the most noticeable gap in the gender differences is where we look at platform usage.
When you look at the top 8 social platforms by monthly active users, YouTube, LinkedIn, Twitter and TikTok index male users. Sites like Facebook and Instagram are geared more towards women, especially Pinterest, which dominates with female audiences.
Most used social networks by gender (% of US population) - Sources: Statista , Brandwatch , Statista , Statista , Worldometer , OurWorldInData , Data Portal , social media platforms and Kepio analytics
| Social network || Male (% usage) || Female (% usage) |
| Facebook || 63 || 75 |
| Instagram || 31 || 43 |
| Twitter || 24 || 21 |
| LinkedIn || 29 || 24 |
| Pinterest || 15 || 42 |
| Snapchat || 24 || 24 |
| YouTube || 78 || 68 |
| TikTok || 56 || 44 |
| Reddit || 15 || 8 |
| WhatsApp || 21 || 19 |
Growth rate of social networks in the world
How much is social media growing from year to year?
In 2020, 3.81 billion people actively use social media around the world, a 9.2% year-on-year increase from 3.48 billion in 2019. In 2015, there were only 2.07 billion users, social media growth since then the rates wereon average 12.5% year-on-year.
Social media growth statistics over 5 years:
- 2020: 3,805 million users active
- 2019: 3,484 million active users (+9.2%)^
- 2018: 3,196 million active five users (+9.0%)
- 2017: 2,796 million active users (+ 21%)
- 2016: 2,307 million active users (+11%)
- 2015: 2,078 million active users
Top 10: Growth of social media users by country
According to Keipo 's analysis, the The country with the fastest growing social media in 2019-2020 was India, with 130 million new users joining the platforms - equivalent to 9.6% of their total population. China (15 m), Indonesia (12m), Brazil (11m), Iran (9.4m) and the United States rank 6th with 6.9 million new users.
Below we have the top 20 social media growth rankings by country, representing the most users, no percentage increase:
Growth of social media users by region
The total number of people using social media increased by 9.2% between April 2019 and January 2020. If we consider the number of people Growing by region, Europe recorded the slowest activation of new active users at 4.9%. While Asia was the largest growth in social media user base with 16.98%, followed by Africa with an increase of 13.92%
Social media growth by region 2019-2020:
- North America: + 6.96%
- South America: + 8.00%
- Europe: + 4.32%
- Africa: + 13.92%
- Asia: + 16.98%
- Australasia: + 4.9%
Day one: when did social media start?
The rise of social media began in 1996 with the release of the networking site Bolt (now closed). Not long after, in 1997, Six Degrees was released, where users could add friends and make profiles. Subsequently, services like AOL Instant Messenger, Live Journal, and Friendster all launched in 2004.
Timeline: The Beginnings of Social Media
- 1996: The first social networking and video website is Bolt, which was active from 1996 to 2007
- 1997: A site called Six Degrees was created where users could upload profile information and connect toter with users by making "friends"
- 1997: AOL launched its instant messaging service, which acquired it from an Israeli company it 's 'was originally called ICQ and was launched in 1996
- 1999: It was the launch of LiveJournal, the first popular blogging platform
- 2000: Habbo, a gaming-based networking site, was launched
- 2002: Friendster was launched, where the users created profiles, logged in and shared content
- 2003: LinkedIn launched the first commercial social networking site
- 2004: Facebook, the most popular platform of all time launched
Sources: GlobalWebIndex , PewResearch , Wikipedia , social media platforms and Kepio analysis
Social media penetration by country
Which country has the most social media users in the country world?
Social media penetration = active users compared to the total population.
According to Statista data from 2020, the most active country is the UAE, with 99% of its population using social media. The average penetration rate in the world is 49%. By isolating the data of eligible users aged 13 and over, the average penetration ofsocial media rate per country is 63%.
Key statistics on total population
- On average, 49% of the world are active users of the networks social, regardless of age
- On average, 63% of the world's population aged 13 and over is active on social media
- USA has 70% regardless of age, 83% for people aged 13 and over
- United Kingdom has 66% regardless of age, 79% for people aged 13 and over
- Canada has 67% regardless of age, 77% for people aged 13 and over
- Australia has 71% regardless of age, 85% for people aged 13 and over
- India a 29% regardless of age, 38% for people aged 13 and over
In which countries are the networks can they seek to develop?
Soci All media have the greatest opportunity for growth in developing countries, with billions of new users signing up. Think tank data company PEW Research Center has noted a steady increase in internet and smartphone adoption, which is strongly linked to the growth of social media in some developing countries or regions.
In 2014, the median was 42% people who occasionally accessed the internet, now this figure must be well over 65%, which was the last figure recorded in the PEW study in 2017. There was a similar story for the adoption of smartphone use as well, doubling to almost 42% in the same period.
Incomeadvertising will not grow at the same rate
Unfortunately, social networks looking to grow in these territories will earn much less from ad profit per user, so user volume is critical for their income.
For example, Facebook reports that the average revenue per user would be $ 36.86 for a person's inion in the United States; however, in Asia-Pacific region, it currently costs between $ 2.11 and $ 2.96 per user.
Sources: Statista , Data Reportal , Social media platforms and Kepio analysis
Social media in the United States by numbers
What percentage of Americans are in social media?
According to platform statements, the number of social media users in the United States is 231.47 million in 2020, which means that 70% of Americans are actively using Monthly sites. The most popular platforms in the United States are YouTube with 73% and Facebook with 69% of the American population.
Number of Americans on social networks:
Social media penetration in the United States is calculated by the total number of active social media users relative to the total population or those aged 13 and over.
- 83% of the eligible US population aged 13 and over have multimedia accounts
- 70% of the total US population have social media accounts ,regardless of age, for a total of 231.47 million people
Social media use in the United States by gender:
In America, social media is more prevalent among women, especially Snapchat and Pinterest, while men use sites like YouTube and Twitter more.
Social media use in the United States by ethnicity:
The percentage of social media use of the total population by race for the United States population is:
- 73% white
- 70% Hispanic
- 69% Black
Social media use in the US by age:
Unsurprisingly, the percentage of Americans using social media by age is mostly from the generationZ and generation Y.
- 90% of 18-year-olds -29
- 82% of 30- 49 years
- 69% of 50-64 year olds
- 40% of people aged 65 and over
Sources: PEW Research , Data Reportal , Brandwatch , social media platforms and analytics Kepio
Social networks media growth in the United States
What is the growth rate of media social in the United States?
70% of the US population has active social media accounts, with an annual growth rate of 3.1% from 2019 to 2020. An original record for the size of the US market was 5% in 2005, growth in the United States took just under 6 years to penetrate 50% of the American population in 2011.
- Social media growth rate in USA between 2019 and 2020 was 3.1%
- The total number of users in America has increased of 6.9 million between 2019 and 2020
- In 2020, the United States was ranked 6th for the annual growth in the number of users behind Iran (9.4 million), Brazil (11 million), Indonesia (12 million), China (15 million) and India (130 million)
Believeestimated social media reach in the United States
- In 2021 * in the United States is estimated at 252.5 million in use
- In 2022 * , the United States would have 255 million users
- In 2023 * The United States is estimated to have 257.4 million users
* Statista 's estimate uses a different set of data than the figures published on the networks.
Growth in the number of social media users in the United States by platform
A selection of surveys conducted by the PEW Research Center 2012-2019 shows the percentage of American adults who report using the following applications on their phone or desktop computer.
Key statistics on US network growth 2018-2019:
- Facebook is up 1% from 68% to 69%
- Instagram is up 2% from 35% to 37%
- LinkedIn is up 2% from 25% to 27%
- YouTube remained at 73%
- Pinterest is down -1% from 29% to 28%
- Twitter is down -2% from 24% to 22
- WhatsApp is down -2% from 22% to 20%
- SnapChat is down -3% from 27% to 24%
Below we have a separate report by Our World In Data, which shows the growth in the number of monthly active users on social media or overtime of MAU (2004-2019).
Sources: Statista , PEW Research , OurWorldInData , Data Report , Kepio's social media platforms and analysis
Social media platforms most popular in 2020
What are the most used social media sites?
In 2020, Facebook is the main social network with people with 2.60 billion of the 3 , 81 billion d 'social media users around the world. YouTube follows this with 2 billion, followed by WhatsApp, Messenger, WeChat, and Instagram, all with 1 billion or more users. By 2021, newcomer TikTok will have joined the 1 billion user club.
Most popular social media by number of active users - Source: ( Statista ), ( FB IR Q1 2020 )
| Network || Active users (MM) |
| Facebook || 2603 |
| YouTube || 2000 |
| WhatsApp || 1600 |
| Messenger (Facebook) || 1300 |
| Weixin / WeChat || 1151 |
| Instagram || 1000 |
| Douyin / Tik Tok ||800 |
| QQ || 731 |
| Qzone || 517 |
| Sina Weibo || 497 |
| Reddit || 430 |
< td scope = "row " data-before = "Network "> Snapchat
| 382 |
| Twitter || 340 |
| Pinterest || 322 |
| Kuaishou || 216 |
Average time spent on social media in 2020
How much time do people spend on social media each day?
In 2020, the average time spent on social media per day is 2 hours 24 minutes worldwide for users aged 16 to 64 on any device. The total of 144 minutes represents an increase of 1.4% from 142 minutes the previous year and 38% over the past 5 years.
In comparison, the time spent on networks by the average person in the United States is 2 hours and 3 minutes, 21 minutes less than the world average.
The World Health Organization estimates the world 's life expectancy at 73 years. If the average person persisted withthe same use of social media, she would spend 5.7 years / 2,080 days on the platforms of her possible lifespan.
- Overall, the average time that a person spends each day on the networks social is 2 hours 24 minutes / 144 minutes
- The average person will spend 5.7 years on social networks from the age of 16 up to 'to the average life expectancy over 70
- An average person will spend 36.5 days per year on platforms from the age of 16
- The Philippines spend the most time networking at 3:53 AM out of 47 countries surveyed
- The Japanese spend the least time daily networking at 45 minutes out of 47 countries studied
Time spent on social networks by country
Below, we have the average daily time spenton social networks in hours and minutes from 47 countries; the data source is from all internet users aged 16 to 64 on any device.
5 highlights for the Backo hearing:
- India - 2 hours 24 minutes
- USA - 2 hours 3 minutes
- Canada - 1 hour 49 minutes
- Australia - 1 hour 44 minutes
- United Kingdom - 1 hour 42 minutes
Daily time on media growth statistics social
Below we have the growth of time spent on social media in minutes; the data source is from all internet users in 47 countries, aged 16 to 64, and on any device.
| Year || Hour (minutes) || Growth (%) |
| Q3 2015 || 111 || 06.70 |
| Q3 2016 || 128 || 15.00 |
| Q3 2017 || 134 || 04.70 |
| Q3 2018 || 142 || 06.00 |
< td scope = "row " data-before = "Year "> Q3 2019
| 144 || 01.40 |
How often do Americans use ils social media sites?
Below we have the frequency of visits by Americans to these popular social media sites, all platforms other than Twitter get at least half of their users visiting the platform every day.
Frequency of social media use among Americans (in percentage) - Sources: GlobalWebIndex , WorldoMeters
| Platform || Use " Less often "(%) || Use " Weekly "(%) || Use " Daily "(% ) |
| Facebook || 9 || 17 || 74 |
| Snapchat || 22 || 17 < td class = "strong " data-before = "Use " daily> 61 |
| Instagram || 16 || 21 || 63 |
| Twitter || 29 || 29 || 42 |
| YouTube || 17 || 32 || 51 |
Social media usage by device
What is the percentage of media usage social on mobile versus office?
When it comes to device use of social media, 98.68% of people worldwide access networks exclusively on a mobile device (tablet or phone). Around 78% only access the platforms from their mobile phone, compared to just 1.32% visiting their social networks via a computer only.
What is the market share of mobile Internet compared to the tablet?
According to StatCounter, the current market share of mobile to desktop in the world is weighted more towards mobile, with 53.81% of people accessing the internet through a feature or smartphone. Only 43.27% of people now access the Internet on their computer (2.92% on tablets).
In comparison, this shows how “mobile” social media is.
- 98.68% or 3.76 billion of social network users access networks from a mobile device
- 78% or 2.97 billion of users will access networks exclusively on a mobile phone
- 1.32% or 50 million access networks exclusively on a desktop computer
- 20% or 760 million users usent both desk phones and mobile phones
- There are 3.50 billion smartphones in the world, which means 84.85% of smartphone users access social media from their phones
- There are 4.78 billion phones in the world, regardless of the ability to access Internet, which means that 62.12% of features AND smartphone owners use social networks on them
Sources: Data report , BankMyCell , Statcounter
So much for my rise as a social media statist ics.
In terms of technology adoption, it is mind-boggling to see how fast a social network can explode. For example, TikTok was on one in five devices connected to the internet in 24 months, as marketers we really have to keep our fingers on the pulse, don't you not?
Now I would like to hear from you:
What would you like to see added to this tour? Or do you have a question?
Anyway, please jump in and leave a comment below.