TOKYO, July 22 (Hfrance.fr) - The former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, who dressed up as a Super Mario video game character to promote the Olympic Games from Tokyo to Rio, will not attend the Olympic Games opening ceremony, public broadcaster NHK reported. .
Abe played a disproportionate role in drawing the Olympics to Tokyo, engaging in front of a banquet hall full of members of the International Olympic Committee in 2013 that the persistent nuclear disaster in Fukushima was "under controlAnd portrayed his nation as a “passionate, proud and staunch supporter” of the Olympics. He resigned from his post last year for health reasons, and his replacement as Prime Minister, Yoshihide Suga, is expected to attend.
All the same, the opening ceremony scheduled for Friday is set to be a tampon affair, with Japanese media reporting that fewer than 950 people - mostly dignitaries, including fewer than 20 world leaders - are expected to attend.
The opening ceremony is usually held as a major showcase for the host country, but with the increase in COVID-19 cases in and around Tokyo, organizers have excluded spectators from most Olympic events.
NHK said Abe has decidednot to attend the ceremony after the Japanese government declared a state of emergency and virus restrictions on Tokyo, in a bid to minimize health risks to residents and visitors.
COVI D-19 infections have jumped in the capital and are expected to increase further, straining healthcare providers.
The Japanese, only a third of whom have had at least one dose of the vaccine, feared the Olympics would become a big-ticket event.
In a recent poll by the Asahi newspaper, 68% of those polled expressed doubts about the ability of Olympic organizers to control coronavirus infections, and 55% said they did opposed the continuation of the Games. Report by Mari Saito; Edited by Lincoln Feast.
Our standards: Thomson Hfrance.fr's principles of trust.