- What does Error 522 mean?
- What is the cause of the cloudflare error?
- Correct error 522: options as website administrator
- What can a user do to resolve the connection-timed-out message?
What does Error 522 mean?
Like many other error pages on the web, message 522 is one of the HTTP status messages: while 5 indicates a server error, 2 means that the server error occurred in connection withc the cloudflare. The code 522 corresponds to a timed connection (in English connection timed out) which occurs whenever the TCP handshake between the web server and the cloudflare fails. This handshake, which is essential for establishing a connection, is always necessary if the CDN service receives a request from the user which requires consultation with the server r. Due to the high usage of cloudflare, error 522 timed out is one of the most popular browser error messages.
What is causing the Cloudflare error?
Contrary to what one might initially suspect, error 522 is not due to a Cloudflare malfunction, but to a server side problem . However, as with many comparable HTTP errors, it is not that easy to find.Directly identify the source of the error. Rather, there are various scenarios that can cause a timeout when establishing the TCP connection between the CDN service and the contacted web server. The most common reasons for the connection timed out message are as follows:
- The web server is offline : the HTTP error 522 is often displayed because the contacted web server is offline. Since the communication between him and Cloudflare is done via the Internet, it is logical that the exchange does not succeed.
- Overload of the original server : Cloudflare requires a lot of work on the original web server, with which the site in question is operated. For certain requests of browser users (in particular dynamic content ), the CDN service must nevertheless contact the source server. As with a server oregular without CDN, this can lead to an overload and a waiting time during the TCP configuration if too many requests have to be processed simultaneously .
- Firewall blocking request : If the origin server is connected to its own firewall, this can also lead to a cloudflare error. Of course, IP addresses of the performance service should be allowed by default, but sometimes addresses are blocked by chance or by mistake . Therefore, the connection cannot be established. Incorrect settings can also cause packets to be dropped in the original host network.
- Incorrect DNS settings : Servers Cloudflare DNS works with the registered IP address of the originating server. Any change to this address must therefore be transmitted so that the CDN and the server cancan continue to work together . Since many web hosts automatically assign new addresses to websites that are managed at certain intervals and do not transfer them to the Cloudflare , the DNS configuration sometimes uses an incorrect address.
- Incorrect routing : Cloudflare must operate beyond network limits to ensure website performance is optimized. IP routing , which regulates the routing of packets sent across the different networks involved, is therefore an elementary component of the content delivery process. If there are discrepancies between the originating server and the cloudflare, this often results in a timed out connection message.
- Keep alive messages are disabled on the server side: Cloudflare uses the Keep alive header entry to maintain connectionsestablished over a longer period of time, thereby improving performance. If these HTTP messages are disabled on the web server, the connection fails, which can cause an error 522. Since most common web servers allow keep-alive entry by default, this cause relatively rare error is almost always due to a webmaster configuration error.
Correct error 522: options as a website administrator
If you are responsible for a website which has a 522 error, you should immediately begin the root cause analysis. However, before checking to see if any of the causes described in the previous section exist, you should first make sure that the original web server is active and accepts HTTP requests . If this is not the case, communication between the cloudflare and the server is logically impossible, even if all the parameters are correct. However, if this first "quick check" shows that the CDN service can actually access the server resources as expected , a more detailed analysis is necessary to find the source of the error.
We have gathered below the most effective solutions to fix error 522.
Solution 1: optimize server capacity
The web server is overloaded one of the most common causes of error 522, but the number of visitors cannot be predicted 100% at all times. One-off visit peaks , in particular, cause the server to slow down, which does not follow the processing of HTTP requests:so you’ll need to keep an eye on website traffic trends using analytics software. Regularly evaluate the data to identify bottlenecks and upgrade the hardware configuration of the hosting environment accordingly. Flexible cloud hosting solutions allow you, for example, to fine-tune resources so that you can respond optimally to fluctuations due to time, day of the week or seasonal influences .
Solution 2: check the IP filter
To find out if the IP addresses used by Cloudflare are blocked by your web server, you must consult the settings of the fire and other filtering applications, such as iptables. Internet addresses can also be filtered in the fileyesterday .htaccess: so you should check that there are no blocked IP addresses. On the cloudflare site there is a list of addresses used by the CDN service provider: if one of these addresses is locked in these programs (or tools with similar functions), you must unlock them to fix error 522. Applications often even automatically block IP addresses. It is therefore possible to open them securely, and it is recommended to make a whitelist of Cloudflare addresses.
it is not excluded that the filtering of cloudflare addresses does not come from your server, but from your host. If you suspect an IP problem behind the Connection timed-out message and you are not surecan not find faulty configurations in your applications, it is recommended to contact them.
Solution 3: adjust the DNS / IP parameters
If your host depends of a regular change of web server address, it is up to you to transmit the modified IP addresses to Cloudflare. By default, providers report these changes only to their own DNS servers . If a 522 error occurs, it's worth checking your domain's IP settings . Log in to the appropriate administration panel on your website and write down the current IPv4 and IPv6 addresses of the web server. Then go to the Cloudflare configuration menu and select the domain that caused the error. Click on the DNS menu item and enter the web addresses noted in the recordsCorresponding DNS records (Type AAAA: IPv6, Type A : IPv4).
Solution 4: (do) activate Keep alive
If the error cloudflare is due to incorrect HTTP header settings, in theory it is relatively easy to fix. If Keep-alive is disabled or too few possible requests are defined, you can correct this in the configuration file of the Web server ( for example, in httpd.conf for Apache servers). However, you have the appropriate rights, which is often not the case, in particular with shared hosting plans . In this case, you only have the option of contacting the supplier. If it remains set to keep-alive for the selected package, you should consider changing your hosting model or provider .
Solution 5: contact Cloudflare support
If error 522 is due to a traffic routing problem , you should contact Cloudflare directly. Create a ticket describing the problem, specifying the areas you have already checked for errors. The CDN provider also recommends using tools such as MTR or traceroute to obtain information on current packet switching between your web server and Cloudflare IPs . You can attach the results to your ticket (text / image format) to speed up the problem resolution process.
What can a user do to resolve the connection-timed-out message?
The list of possible causes of errors monter that error 522 is just a server-side problem . So if you’re browsing the web and you get the message 522 when you visit a site , it's not because your internet connection is down or your plugin isn't working properly . However, this means that you cannot resolve the problem directly. It is therefore advisable to postpone the visit to the desired site to a later date . Ideally, the communication problem between the cloudflare and the server has been resolved in the meantime, so that the page is displayed again as expected.
Of course, you can also contact the responsible webmaster , especially if the site does not work even after several attempts and continues to display the Cloudflare error. This can provide you with valuable background information or a specific point in time when you can access the website again. DIn addition, the supplier may not have been aware of the problem to date, so it is still worth contacting them.