LONDON, September 15 (Hfrance.fr) - The High Court of London has said on Wednesday she would take action if necessary to serve documents on Prince Andrew of Britain in the US lawsuit brought by a woman who accuses him of sexually assaulting her two decades ago.
The prince, second son of Queen Elizabeth, is accused by Virginia Giuffre of assaulting her when she was 17, at a time when she says she was abused by financier Jeffrey Epstein.
Andrew, 61, who is officially known as the Duke of 'York, dismissed the charges and his lawyers called the case baseless. His legal team declined to comment. learn more
Last week Giuffre 's legal team said she attempted to serve papers on Andrew by leaving the documents with a police officer at his home in the south of England. Lawyers for the prince told Manhattan U.S. District Court they were not properly served under English law and the Hague Convention.
A spokesperson for London The High Court said the question of how claims might be served on parties in different jurisdictions was governed by the Hague Service Convention, which requires claims be made and approved by the competent authority in each country.
"The lawyers acting for Ms Giuffre have now provided additional information to the High Court , and the High Court granted the request for service under the Notification of The Hague, "the spokesperson said in a statement.
" Legal proceedings have not yet been served, but the High Court will now take action to serve under the Convention, unless the service is arranged by agreement between the parties. "
At ah ear Monday in Manhattan, the prince 's lawyer, Andrew Brettler, said that Giuffre appeared to have given up in 2009 his right to sue the prince by resolving a separate lawsuit.
"This is a baseless, unsustainable and potentially illegal lawsuit "Brettler said. " There has been a settlement agreement that the plaintiff entered into in a prior action which releases the Duke and others from any potential liability. "
Andrew is a former friend of Epstein, a delinquentsex record who committed suicide in a Manhattan jail in August 2019 after US prosecutors accused him of sexually exploiting dozens of girls and women.
The prince stepped down from royal duties and charities and other organizations distanced themselves from him after a BBC interview in November 2019 about his relationship with Epstein.
He denies having had sex or any relationship with Giuffre. Her lawsuit, filed last month, says he forced her to have unwanted sex at the London home of Ghislaine Maxwell, a British socialite and longtime partner of Epstein.
He also said that Andrew abused Giuffre at Epstein 's mansion on the Upper East Side of Manhattan and on a private island owned by Epstein in the US Virgin Islands.
Maxwell has pleaded not guilty to the charges that she aided Epstein 's sexual abuse. She faces a trial scheduled for November 29 before U.S. District Judge Alison Nathan in Manhattan.
The next conference for Giuffre's trial is scheduled for October 13. .
(This story is passed on to add the deleted word 'sue ' in the eighth paragraph) Report by Michael Holden ; edited by Guy Faulconbridge and Timothy Heritage
Our standards: Thomson Hfrance.fr's principles of trust.