The president of the Prince Charles Charitable Foundation has resigned over allegations that a six-figure sum of one rich Russian donor had been accepted before being rejected by its ethics committee.
Douglas Connell, president of the Prince 's Foundation, spoke resigned a few days after the The Scottish charity regulator launched an investigation after Charles wrote a letter thanking businessman Dmitry Leus for his offer last year and suggesting they might meet afterwardsthe Covid crisis.
A £ 100,000 donation to the foundation, based in Scotland, were turned down after concerns about its provenance, The Sunday Mail and The Sunday Times reported.
Earlier this month, Michael Fawcett has temporarily resigned from his position as CEO of the foundation , while trustees are investigated into separate 'money for honors' allegations regarding Saudi billionaire donation to Dumfries House, the 18th century Palladian home in Ayrshire "saved for the nation" by Charles.
The Prince's Foundation trustees are investigating the claims.
Connell, who has held this position since March, said in a statement: "I am both choquttered and dismayed by the newspaper articles according to which dishonest activities of all kinds could have taken place inside and outside the Prince's Foundation. Myself and other board members had no knowledge of any of these activities and we launched a rigorous and independent investigation.
" My point of view is that the person who chairs an organization must assume his responsibilities if it appears that a serious fault could have been committed within him.
" I think the correct course is for the president to accept this responsibility and step aside. This is why I am resigning today from my post as president of the Prince's Foundation. "
The ethics committee of the foundation has refused donation after finding out that Leus was convicted of money laundering in Russia in 2004 before the convictionbe canceled. Leus said he was the victim of a politically motivated lawsuit, it was learned.
The Mail on Sunday reported that Leus believed to have given £ 500,000 to the Prince 's Foundation in two separate donations through third party repairers, but had since discovered that only £ 100,000 had been transferred.